Its National Strawberry Day and I have an amazing brunch recipe to help you celebrate! This easy and delicious french toast bake cuts down the sugar and fat in a traditional french toast recipe, and is also easy to make in bulk in case you are in the mood to share! Before we get to the recipe.. let’s go over the health benefits in the topping.
Strawberries are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and particularly high levels of antioxidants that reduce inflammation. Strawberries are sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low-calorie. Just one serving of strawberries (8) provides more Vitamin C than an orange!
Almonds are a great source of vitamin E, copper, magnesium, and high quality protein. Almonds also contain high levels of healthy unsaturated fatty acids, fiber, vitamins, other minerals, and antioxidants, which can help prevent cardiovascular heart diseases.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
1 tsp olive oil
1 loaf challah bread
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cup mixed berries, frozen
1/4 cup almonds, sliced
Additional honey or maple syrup for serving
1. First, cut the challah bread into one inch pieces. Whip the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, & honey together in a small bowl.
2. Grease a 9×13 inch glass baking dish with olive oil, then layer the bread across the bottom of the dish in a single layer.
3. Sprinkle the cinnamon and allspice over the bread, then pour the egg mixture into the dish and cover with plastic wrap.
4. At this point, you can either refrigerate the bake overnight in the refrigerator, or leave the bake at room temperature for 1 hour. I’ve tried both and both work, so.. your choice!
5. Either way, when you are ready to bake your french toast, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and flip the challah bread pieces over in the pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the dish from the oven and top the casserole with mixed berries (I prefer them frozen) and sliced almonds. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
7. Serve warm with a side of honey or maple syrup.