It’s winter! As much as I hate the cold, I am at least glad to have easy and delicious soup recipes on hand! This soup combines lentils (an amazing vegetable source of protein), sweet potatoes (fiber), and spinach (fibers, vitamins and minerals and antioxidants) in an amazing low sodium broth that will keep you warm inside even if it happens to be cold out. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do!
Lentil, Sweet Potato, and Spinach Soup
1 tsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
4 cups brown lentils
4 cups water
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
additional sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Saute onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
2. Add other vegetables and cook for 7 minutes.
3. Add lentils, water, chicken broth, thyme, and seasonings and bring to a rolling boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
5. Add spinach, stir thoroughly, and season to taste. Enjoy!