Most of my meals are prepared, photographed, then immediately packed for weekday lunches. This salad recipe has a dual purpose; 1) showing how to use Caribbean flavors at home in a healthy recipe, and 2) showing how to pack it away for your all-week enjoyment in a mason jar.
Jerk Shrimp Salad with Pineapple Coconut Dressing
The best part about this salad (besides the fact that it is delicious) is that it is easily assembled into a mason jar for easy storage and transport. (Pictured below in my car on the way to work)
Recipe makes 5-6 servings
1 pound shrimp, tailed and deveined
1 pineapple or 8 oz fresh pineapple chunks
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 red bell peppers, sliced
1 jar jerk seasoning, homemade or premixed
16 oz mixed greens
For Pineapple Coconut Dressing:
2 oz pineapple chunks (or 1/4 cup)
Juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp coconut oil, liquified
1 tbsp honey
1. Toss shrimp with 2 tbsp olive oil, then 2 tbsp jerk seasoning.
2. Saute shrimp for 2 1/2 – 3 minutes or until bright pink.
3. Set aside to cool and prepare the dressing.
Pineapple Coconut Dressing
1. Puree pineapple chunks, lime juice, and orange juice in a food processor or blender, then stir in coconut oil and honey.
Bowl Salad Assembly:
1. Layer mixed greens, bell pepper slices, black beans, and shrimp in a bowl, then top with the salad dressing and enjoy!
Mason Jar Salad Assembly:
Layer the ingredients in the following order and DO NOT invert the jar in any way: dressing, pineapple slices, shrimp, black beans, bell pepper slices, greens. Close the jar tightly and store in the refrigerator. Your mason jar salad will last 3-4 days as long as the greens don’t touch the greens.